Do you need roof replacement services? Eventually, every home will need it's roof replaced. Before you select a new roof, take a look at the ABC's of a successful replacement.
Your home needs a new roof, but you may not know where to start your search. Even though there are plenty of roofing contractors in your local area, you aren't sure which one to choose, what they can offer, or what type of roof to replace the existing one with. Now is your chance to ask questions. The top questions to start with include:
- How much experience does the contractor have? Knowledge and experience are crucial for any roofing contractor. Ask the would-be roofer about general expertise in the field and specific experience with different types of roofing materials (such as clay tile, metal, or wood shingles).
- Does your roof require a replacement or a repair? It's possible your home doesn't need a new roof. Whether your roof leaks is missing shingles or has another issue, discuss the problem with the contractor before you decide on a service.
- What type of roof replacement is the best option? Replacement choices could include asphalt shingles, metal, tiles, slate, or wood shakes/shingles.
If you have additional questions, write a list before you meet with your future contractor. The more questions you ask, the more comfortable you'll feel with your roofing replacement choices.
Balance Want and Need
Want and need are two different aspects of your roofing project. To better determine what you want and what you need in a replacement, consider:
- What material do you prefer? Choose a material that appeals to your sense of style.
- What material works best for your roof? Preference is a want. But the answer to this question is a need.
- What material combines form and function? The roofer can help you to combine your style preferences with the material that has high durability, is long-lasting, and will stand up to the local weather.
Even though you might have a definite style preference, your home's needs may outweigh this option. If this happens, ask the roofer about the alternatives and ways to accommodate both wants and needs.
Calculate the Costs
How much will a new roof cost? The answer to this question depends on several factors. These include:
- The material. Slate and wood shingles are more expensive than asphalt shingles and some other types of roofing materials.
- The replacement service. A full replacement that includes the underlying material is likely to cost more than if you only need to cover the shingles with a new layer of material.
- The economy. The cost of materials increases and decreases based on the current economy—nationally and locally.
A replacement service is a major investment. But that doesn't mean you can't afford this home improvement project. Discuss your budget with the contractor to find the replacement materials that fit into your budget.